Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Safford Arizona. Here I Am!

Early in the morning we were loaded onto another bus. Approximately much later we arrived at our final resting place, at least for now, FCI Safford, Arizona. I'll spare you the details of being processed at intake as they are much the same as all the other places I've been. The compound is really quite nice -- very aesthetically pleasing. There is no grass anywhere. Just artfully arranged dirt, rocks, and indigenous plant life. There are several cabanas in the central compound in which are found many T.V.'s for watching. Of course I'm not allowed to watch most of them, or participate in most of the reindeer games due to the nature of why I'm here. But that's okay, there is plenty to be doing and I wouldn't have wanted to really associate much with most of the people normally found in prisons. The rec yard has basketball, tennis, volleyball, and racquetball courts. I and the others of my social standing are not allowed to use them if others are or want to. Otherwise we can. There is also a baseball diamond and soccer/football field, all dirt. There is a dirt track that runs around it all. Once I get some shoes I plan to go jogging, or at least brisk walking, or at least just walking, or at least just admiring my shoes while thinking to myself that I should use them to go jogging. :)
I am living in a giant warehouse dorm unit. It is roughly about 200 yards long and 50 yards wide. On the two ends are the bathrooms, showers, and some washer/dryers machines. 120 two man banks fill the central area with a row down each end wall and a row of back to back bunks down the center, creating two main walkways. I'm on the bottom floor. The building actually is two stories with everything I just described duplicated on the top floor as well. I am also on an upper bunk. Bottom bunks are assigned by medical need and seniority. So eventually I should get to move to a lower bunk. Eventually. But I actually kind of like the upper bunk, s it's all good. I've got a locker next to my bunk where I can keep by stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment