Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jayne Eyre

Prior to leaving DCJ I was reading and nearly finished "Jayne Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. There were many excellent passages which I had intended to quote, but I had to leave my notes behind when I left. I obtained another copy here in Safford and finished it today. So I've only got one passage to share instead of many. I have edited out a few parts which wouldn't make sense out of context. I like this passage because it so closely echoes the feelings of my own heart.


[...] my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficient God of this earth [...] He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely. I did wrong [...] Divine justice pursued its course; disasters came thick on me: I was forced to pass through the valley of the shadow of death. His chastisements are mighty; and one smote me which has humbled me for ever. [...] I thank my Maker, that in the midst of judgement he has remembered mercy. I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto!

No comments:

Post a Comment