Friday, August 20, 2010

The Power of One (Letter)

Today I was reading "The Power of One" by Bryce Courteney and I came across a great passage. It is the story of a young boy's life in Africa during World War II as he grows up and seeks to become a boxing champion. At the point of this passage, one of his mentors and teachers is imprisioned unjustly and with the boy's help begins an underground postal service for the prisoners. This is what he says to the boy:

"When man is brutalized in such a place like this, always he is looking for small signs. The smallest sign that someone is worried for him to like a fire on the dark mountain. When a man knows somebody cares, he keeps some small place, a corner maybe of his soul, clean and lit."

I suppose I really like this because I can identify with it so well. To all of you who have written to me, I give my sincere thanks. You've all been like a fire on a dark mountain for me. Being reminded that you care helps me keep the spark of hope alive through this dark period of my life.

Never underestimate The Power of One . . . letter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment